This holiday season why not give a gift that is helpful to the recipient during the entire year? Ever thought about giving a gift to someone that will help them cut costs on everyday expenses? There are many gifts that may be able to facilitate this type of giving. They can range from something as small as a coffee cup or as large as a set of fancy golf clubs and many others with price points in-between. Here is a small list of very practical gifts that keep on giving:
· Decorative cup, bowl or picture frame (prices vary)
· Digital picture frames ranging from $50.00-$150.00
· iTunes gift card of any amount
· A filtered water pitcher which I recently saw on sale for $10.00 that may help reduce purchases of bottled water.
· Magazine subscription of 12 months or more starting at just $2.99 and up depending on brand and deal. For example Cosmopolitan currently has an online promotion of $5.00 per year.
· Portrait Club Membership (JCPenney has a two-year membership for just $29.99). I like this for new moms. It could save thousands in photography charges.
· Houston Chronicle home delivery (now selling for less than $40.00/year when calling promotional ordering number)
· Internet TV box such as Roku or Google TV that would enable the recipient to watch on demand TV without a cable bill if they have wi-fi access. These boxes normally sell for under $100.00.
· A year subscription to Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime streaming for less than $100.00 per year.
· Annual family membership to The Children's Museum for under $100.00.
· Yearly pass to The Houston Zoo runs from $59.00-$89.00.
· Clothing store gift cards of any amount.
· I know this one is cliche, but some people still do like receiving small kitchen appliances (prices vary).
· 8GB iPod touch from Amazon.com for $199.00
Probably one of my favorite gifts this year would be the iPod touch. There are so many uses such as downloading free e-books, access to great resource apps, games, educational activities for children and music. This device can even take the place of your home phone if you have wifi, a phone app and keep your iPod charged regularly. This device keeps on giving in so many ways. If I had to pick a second favorite it would be the portrait club membership for sure. I am partial to baby pictures.
I am sure there are hundreds of ideas that could be added to this list. My goal is to get you thinking outside of the box this year during gift-giving and possibly help the beneficiary in reducing some of their spending on items they may plan to purchase. I would love to hear ways that you give gifts that keep on giving.